Giant Window and Two Giant W's
May 4, 2011. When the original Woodwards building was demolished in 2006, the Giant W that had topped it since 1958 was saved and now serves as a monument at the base of the new Woodwards Building. A replacement Giant W now turns atop the complex, lit by energy efficient LED’s, first switched on January 15, 2010.
Rainy night November 26, 2016. The Giant Window is actually an enormous 30 by 50 foot translucent photomural by the acclaimed artist Stan Douglas which occupies the central corridor of the new Woodwards complex. Titled, “Abbott & Cordova, 7 August 1971,” this picture reimagines the infamous police crackdown on a peaceful public watermelon party and pot smoke-in sponsored by the Georgia Straight on the summer streets of Gastown.
Henri Robideau 2017
2017, narrative collage, 40w x 30h inches, dry mounted colour ink jet print, digital hand written text.
©2019 Henri Robideau