Cambie Street Bridge 1911 ~ 1983
Sunset and last crossing of the condemned Cambie Street Bridge, looking north, July 31, 1983. The truss steel and paved timber deck of the Cambie Street Bridge was built in 1910, opened in 1911, and christened in 1912 by the Duke and Duchess of Connaught as the Connaught Bridge (their the name never stuck). Except for catching fire once in 1915, the treacherously narrow roadway served well as the most easterly crossing of False Creek until its demolition in 1983, making way for a new concrete span and Expo 86.
Ultra Hair sign and downtown view from north end of Cambie Bridge, October 1973.
Cambie Bridge swing span, October 1973.
Archival inkjet digital prints from scanned black and white film, dry mount collaged onto 40w x 30h inch rag board. Black ink holographic text. 2015
Exhibited April 2015, Eraser Street show, grunt Gallery, Vancouver Canada
©2019 Henri Robideau